Friday 3 August 2012

Week 12 Assignment

Three tips/hints I learned from Daryl-Make sure to pay attention to the updates when your computer tells you there are updates available.  If you dont, you can leave your computer wide open to others to access, especially if it's a security update that needs installing. 
I have to say I was surprised when Daryl mentioned that computers are really only equiped to last for 3 or 4 years.  I've had my laptop for aboug 5-6 years.  I'm not totally comfortable with having to replace my computer that often, both for cost and for environmental reasons.
At my home, we do use an external backup, and I backup my work always, in more than one location.  I suppose the FOL locker would qualify as "off site" storage.

Three tips I practice myself for troubleshooting-One involves resetting my router whenever I have issues with my internet connection.  It's just a matter of unplugging things and replugging them in in the correct order.  Another tip is simply to reboot, or restart my computer.  Third, I find that sometimes closing the program itself and restarting helps.  A fourth tip involves turning the computer off and walking away from it for a few hours or overnight.  Sometimes the biggest "trouble" is the user. :-)

From today's class-I love the idea of resetting the text (search-cctune) and plan to do this when I get home.  When I was on my co-op, we all received new monitors one day.  I found the text really hard to read.   The technicial seemed to assume that it was simply because of my age and eyesight.  Enlarging the magnification or the monitor settings didn't help at all.  And I had been able to read the previous monitor the day before with no issues whatsoever.  This cctune would have helped. 
I really like the option of CTRL/SHIFT/DELETE to open up the temp/cookies/history files for deletion.  This is alot easier than the way I used to do it.  I plan to do this weekly. 
I think I will setup an automatic defrag and ccleaner to occur monthly, rather than trying to remember or only doing these when I have a computer issue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment